After months of prayer and preparation, the Pastoral Search Committee recommends that St. John’s Metropolitan Community Church call Vance Haywood as the fifth Pastor of our almost 41-year-old congregation.
As you know, Vance has been serving as the Worship Coordinator in our interim period, and we are well aware of his call to ministry and his amazing talent. He has served as a Deacon, Trustee, and in many other lay ministries at St. John’s MCC. While we thought that there wouldn’t be a way to have him as our standing Pastor, God found a way. There is precedent in our denomination for having a Pastor rise from our midst. MCC leaders tell us that he will have “Standing by Call” within the MCC.
Upon the affirmative vote of our Congregation, we recommend that St. John’s MCC ordain and install Vance as Pastor of our church.
The Pastoral Search Committee plans to present Vance at a Special Called Congregation Meeting for the Purpose of Calling a Pastor immediately following our regularly-scheduled Congregational Forum on Sunday, December 3rd. As is our custom, Vance will answer questions from those present at that meeting and then we will have an opportunity to discuss him without him present in the room. We plan to ask for a vote on him at that time.
Prior to that Meeting and Vote, there are several opportunities for personal interaction with Vance. Please take advantage of them. Some of them are listed here:
- In the Church Office on Mondays from 4pm-8pm – his regular office hours
- In the Church Office on Wednesdays from 1pm-5pm – his regular office hours
- By appointment on Saturday, November 18th from 10am-4pm - Please make appointments directly with Vance.
- Via email at VanceH@StJohnsMCC.org
In Social Settings with others:
- Following any of the worship services between now and December 3rd
- At Trivia Night at The View following the Wednesday Night Service at St. John’s MCC
We offer a special thanks to all who have made suggestions, comments, and offered advice to the Committee during this process, and we remain open to any input you wish to give us.
You may contact all of us by writing to PSC@StJohnsMCC.org. You may also write us individually:
- Leah Sampson, Chair LeahS@StJohnsMCC.org
- Al Williams AlW@StJohnsMCC.org
- Fred Cannady FredC@StJohnsMCC.org
- Jim Manchester Jim.Manchester@StJohnsMCC.org
- Mark Godette MarkG@StJohnsMCC.org
- Marty Smith MartinS@StJohnsMCC.org
- Vance Haywood has resigned from the Committee.
We look forward to hearing from you!